After almost 17 months my child still does not really play with toys BUT he will sit and read book after book. We assume he gets this from his Grandmother's, they are both big into reading, and always have a book with them.
We probably have about thirty different books in our house, but he only wants the same five to read. There is book #6 but that only comes into play if none of the others are available.
At bedtime if we don't read all five books he sits up and keeps saying "More, More" while pointing to the book stack. One night I forgot to read one and I put him into his bed. The next morning when he got up, he went to the book basket and pulled it out. We had to read it that morning.
Here are Henry's Top Five Books (no particular order):
1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar - loves to play with the holes that caterpillar makes while eating the food. Saturday is his favorite day of the book because the caterpillar eats a lot of different things.
2. I Love you Through and Through - this one is my favorite. Simple easy read and it points out fingers, toes, head and nose.
3. Who's There, Spot - Loves to open the pop ups and call Spot - Ellie. I get a kick that the Hippo is named Helen and the Monkey is named Steve. I do find it odd, at the end of the book, the dad for some reason is in the bath tub. Why, can't he be coming home for work?
4. GoodNight Moon 123 - This is a counting book and he likes to pretend to count. His favorite page is the 100 stars because we pretend to count.
5. Five Little Monkey's Jumping on the Bed - Hands down the best one to read (over and over and over). Henry gets such a kick out of this one. We read as a sing-a-long rhythmic poem. His favorite part is when Mama calls the doctor and the Doctor says "No More Monkey's Jumping on the Bed". He laughs because I am shaking my index finger to the rhythm and he will join in with shaking his finger.
It is a nice selection and I am very happy that he enjoys reading. I can see that he is learning new words all the time when we read. Someday soon he might even read them to me!